This is one of my favorite recipes because it is so simple, made with real ingredients, bursting with all kinds of flavors AND unbelievably fills you up. I actually feel as if I am losing weight as I inhale this delicious dish. Inspired by one of my closest friends at a weekend away in Westcliffe, CO, this recipe is very versatile as you can chop any vegetables that you prefer and not necessarily follow this recipe to a T.
I’ve included fried Tofu in the recipe below (since I am a vegetarian), but feel free to replace the protein with grilled chicken, cooked shrimp and/or scallops, grilled steak, or any protein of your choosing.
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped or sliced
- 1 bunch bok choy, chopped
- 1/2 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup microgreens (any kind)
- 1/3 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms, grilled or lightly fried (with a spray of olive oil)
- 1 package extra firm tofu (spiced with 1 tsp each of garlic powder, salt, dried parsely flakes, paprika and 1/2 tsp of ground pepper)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh thai basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp peanut peices
- 1 jalepeno pepper, chopped
- 1 package Vermicilli Rice Noodles
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 Tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp gluten free Tamari
- 1 Tbsp water
Place all chopped ingredients on a serving tray
Chop the Tofu into small rectangles, spray a large frying pan with olive oil, and turn the stovetop to medium heat. Place the tofu in a large mixing bowl and add all the spices. Mix until the tofu is well spiced.
Place the spiced tofu in the pan and allow it to brown approximately 6-8 minutes on each side.
In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Turn off heat and add the Vermicilli rice noodles to the pot. Mix and cover for 5 minutes and then drain in colander.
In a separate bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients.
Add all the ingredients that you prefer to a bowl and splash a bit of sauce on top. Mix it all up and ENJOY!