We are here for you! A lot of you have concerns about your health and are doing your best to both stay healthy and recover quickly if you do get sick. As a reminder, we are happy to curbside delivery of both your prescriptions and anything else from our store, whether you are sick or not. We are also doing at home delivery if you need that!
We have to make sure that we are not making any claims about what can and cannot prevent this virus from affecting you and what can and cannot be used to treat this virus. The bottom line is that it is new and we have no to very little evidence about any natural substance for this particular virus.
We can make some assumptions that a healthy body will lessen the severity and duration of infections, in general. With that in mind, we can take the approach that hardening the immune system will be a good idea for COVID-19, as well.
The basics are important:
- Wash your hands often and thoroughly
- Don’t touch your face! If you must, wash your hands both before and after
- Practice good personal distancing. Send one person into the places that are still open, don’t gather in groups, don’t stand next to someone you are talking to – spread it out!
- Stay well hydrated
- Eat a healthy, whole foods diet. Focus on a wide variety of fresh vegetables and fruits, spices and herbs. Limit or eliminate sugar which will inhibit immune function
- Get enough sleep
- Exercise regularly
- Enjoy daily fresh air
- Manage your stress levels. While this is a difficult and stressful situation, try to think of all the positive things that come from this: our planet has a chance to breathe, we get to spend extra time with our families, we can reach out to friends on a more regular basis, we can work on put-off projects, etc. If we focus on being positive, we can have a profound effect on our health and well-being! And remember that positivity is contagious, too!
We have evidence that the following are some of the nutrients known to improve immune function and have some antiviral properties.
- Vitamin D- 5000IU/day for prevention. If you get sick, increase your dose to 50,000-100,000IU for 4 days, then go back to your preventive dose.
- Vitamin A- up to 50,000IU/day
- Vitamin C- 1g/day for prevention. If you get sick, increase your dose to 1g 3x/day.
- Selenium- 200mcg/day
- Zinc- 1/day NAC- 1000mg 2-3x/day if you get sick
- Electrolytes- these are very important to help keep your body in balance. Getting sick can often deplete these nutrients, so keep them on hand to use if you get sick.
- SBI Protect- 1/day preventive, 4/day if you do get sick.
- Immune support formulas- we normally carry a variety of immune formulations. Our favorites include Super Bio-Vegetarian, Viracid, WholeMune, Viragraphis, Immunotone Plus, etc. Taking one or two capsules daily can be beneficial for prevention. If you get sick, you can increase your dosage of these immune formulations to take 4-6 times throughout the day.
Some immune formulas already have some of the above ingredients in them. Check the dosages on the supplements you are already using and make sure you are not overdoing it. Mega-dosing is fine for the short term (especially if you do get sick), but is not necessary long-term.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THESE OUR SUGGESTIONS AND WE MAKE NO CLAIMS TO BE ABLE TO PREVENT OR TREAT COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS.
We have these supplements together at the pharmacy. Call ahead and we will deliver it to your car!