One of the things I love about traveling is learning more about the cuisine and trying new recipes. I just returned from a trip to Nassau, Bahamas and you will never guess that this trip inspired me to create this amazingly flavorful, unique, simple and well-balanced recipe. While I did enjoy many of the traditional Bahamian foods like conch salad and banana bread with rum sauce, the salad I ordered at Nature’s Table in the Orlando airport of all places, seriously got my attention.
So while I would love to take full credit for this delicious salad recipe, I truly cannot, but I can include some optional additions / alternative ingredients to this salad that would make it truly unique.
- 1 cup greens of your choice (spinach, arugula, romaine, half and half mix, etc.)
- 1/4 cup cooked rainbow quinoa – chilled or 1/4 cup cooked brown rice – chilled or 1/8 cup of each
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1 Tbsp thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup sliced English cucumber (or any cucumber will work)
- 1 heaping Tbsp of kalamata olive tapenade (or chopped kalamata olives)
- 2 heaping Tbsp of hummus (homemade, original, garlic, everything, red pepper, black olive – any flavor will work) or plain chick peas
- 1 heaping Tbsp of tzatziki sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 heaping Tbsp of feta cheese crumbles (optional)
Need more protein? Add any one of these as options:
- 1/4 cup Rotisserie chicken slices
- 1/4 cup grilled salmon slices
- 1/4 cup gyro sliced lamb
- 3-4 fried falafel balls
This is the best part. Throw all the ingredients into a bowl, mix it up and chow it down! It will be an explosion of flavors in your mouth. No need to add any spices.
I will be accepting all thank yous in the comments below 😀