I never think of preparing a wedge salad for myself at home, but when I was at the grocery store the other day, I saw a perfect head of organic iceberg lettuce and started craving this salad. Since I am a vegetarian, when I order this salad at a restaurant, I always exclude the bacon, but when preparing this salad at home, I add tempeh smoky bacon strips to add more protein for a more well balanced meal.
I am all about salads and creating a healthy, simple, and oh so delicious and satisfying meal from them and this recipe is yet another options that will satisfy, keep you full, and have you craving it on any given day.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 4 slices bacon or tempeh smoky bacon
- 1 fresh avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup microgreens, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsely, chopped (optional)
- 4 Tbsp mayonaisse
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice from one large lemon
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/8 cup blue cheese crumbles (more if you like lots of blue cheese)
- 1/4 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 Tbsp dried parsely flakes
- 1/4 Tbsp dried basil flakes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp corn starch (optional for thickening agent)
- 1/8 Tbsp red pepper flakes (optional for spice)
Whisk or blend all the dressing ingredients together and chill in the refrigerator for an hour or longer.
Remove the Iceberg lettuce core and slice into 4 wedges.
Cook the bacon / tempeh either in frying pan, oven or microwave.
Chop/slice all the remaining salad ingredients.
Plate the salad ingredients.
Add dressing to your salad and enjoy!