This recipe is a staple in my household. It is so flavorful and filling and completely guilt free every time I consume it. My family loves it as well. My Husband, who is a meatatarian, can not get enough of these thick and juicy ‘steak cut’ eggplant slices.
I have made this recipe with and without the gluten free breading as well as in the air fryer or fried up in a frying pan and no matter which way you choose, the recipe comes out so incredibly tasty. Below is the recipe with the breading. Feel free to exclude the eggs, milk, mayo, coconut flour and almond flour entirely for an even lower carb, fat and calorie count. But keep in mind, if you eliminate these ingredients, it will also decrease the amount of protein.
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 32 oz. can of organic crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz can of organic tomato paste
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP organic olive oil
- 1 TBSP organic salted butter
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBSP Vegan Mayonaisse
- 2 TBSP whole milk
- 1/2 can organic olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1/2 cup organic grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup organic ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP chopped dry parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat butter and olive oil in large pot on low heat until butter is melted.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until translucent approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper
- Add chopped garlic and mix for 1 minute
- Add the optional red pepper flakes if you like it with a kick
- Increase heat to medium low and add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well.
- Cover and let simmer for 40 minutes to an hour mixing every 15 – 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix the eggs, milk and mayo in a large mixing bowl
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsely flakes in a large mixing bowl
- Cut the eggplant into 1 inch thick slices and cut each slice in half
- Dip the eggplant pieces first in the egg mixture and then in the flour mixture until completely coated on all sides
- Place on large platter and spray each piece with olive oil spray until slightly damp on all sides
- Place eggplant in air fryer and fry at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes until slightly browned on both sides (you may need to flip over after 10 minutes depending on the type of air fryer you have). Alternatively, fry in a frying pan until slightly brown on both sides – this method might need a bit more olive oil
- Cover large casserole dish with a generous layer of the sauce
- Place layer of eggplant on top of the sauce
- Place small teaspoon size dollups of ricotta cheese over each eggplant piece
- Cover everything with another generous layer of the sauce
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese, romano cheese and mozzarella cheese on top
- Place in pre-heated oven and cook for 40-50 minutes or until top is slightly brown.
Recipe with Gluten-Free Breading
Recipe without Breading
DISCLAIMER: The nutrition facts above are estimates based on the recipe ingredients listed above.